16 February 2008

posted by benjy edwards

Today I brewed a clone of the Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer Company, with Jonathan’s help.  The recipe calls for pale malt, crystal, and wheat.  We used about 8% crystal malt (25 Lovibond) and 8% wheat, but the colour in the boil kettle looked a bit dark, so we probably used too much crystal or should have used a lighter-coloured crystal.  We’ll see how it turns out though, perhaps the colour will be correct.  Hops were Centennial and Amarillo, and we reached our target gravity of 1.068 (6.8% ABV).  We used the stainless steel mesh in the grant and got good wort clarity into the kettle.  We had some trouble with bubbles at the beginning of the runoff, so more troubleshooting is needed there.  It may be that the hose clamps needed tightening, as after we did that it seemed to go away.

We racked the Alpha King clone to secondary, one fermenter was 1.016 and the other 1.015.  The cask-conditioned Golden Arrow is gone, replaced with Palmer’s Best Bitter.  The Boathouse Pale Ale hopped with the homegrown Cascade is on tap as well.

10 February 2008

posted by benjy edwards

No brewing this weekend, we needed time to do the demolition work on one of our bathrooms that is being remodeled.  I did have time today to keg up the first half of the Boathouse Pale Ale hopped with homegrown Cascade.  The beer had been in secondary for eight days, and the gravity was unchanged from racking at 1.014.  I dry-hopped it with 1.5 ounces of the homegrown Cascade and force-carbonated it.  It will soon be on tap to replace the previous Boathouse Pale Ale, which was an English pale ale recipe.

The Alpha King clone is still in primary, the gravity on Saturday was 1.016.  We chilled down the fridge to 55F and it will be racked next weekend when we brew the Mojo IPA clone.

2 February 2008

posted by benjy edwards

The brewing cycle continued with the 16th batch of the Alpha King clone. Our friend Jonathan helped out again, and brought over some very fine stainless steel mesh to aid in clearing up the mash runoff. We didn’t use it in the batch today, but we did test it out by putting it over the false bottom in our hopback, and lautering the final mash runnings though it after collecting the wort we needed in the boil kettle. The screen filters out all but the smallest particles, and did not clog even when we put part of the mash into the hopback. I think it will be added to our system in the form of a grant between the mash tun and boil kettle.

Target gravity is 1.062 and that’s exactly what we achieved, but we did have to extend the boil by 30 minutes and add four ounces of dried malt extract to get there.  The recipe today did not use any of the hops specified in the Alpha King clone, but that is going to become more and more common as the worldwide hop shortage continues. I substituted Pacific Gem for the Magnum, Chinook for the Columbus, and Ahtanum for the Cascade, not because I don’t have any of the proper hops but because I want to clear out the older supplies.

We racked the pale ale brewed last weekend to secondary today. We could not keg the beer if we wanted to, as we’re all out of corny kegs for the moment, but since it’s not a cask beer it should have a period in secondary anyway. The gravities were 1.014 on both fermenters.